The title of this blog not to be confused with "England DRIVES Me Crazy" because that's not what I mean...I mean it makes me crazy and I do and say weird things...I couldn't sleep the other night, and I got to thinking about all the funny things I have said or done in the last little while since living here. To give you an idea of it, I will give you a few examples...
1. I have randomly said "Si" instead of "Yes" several times since I have been here (I am thinking maybe it's because my brain just computes this place as a foreign country, and I have spent quite a bit of time in Panama over the last few years)
2. When talking to a British person, I said "Willy's" instead of "Welly's" when referring to rubber boots you wear (the former term, in this country, refers to a man's lower region!)
3. I told someone I was just being a "Mole on the wall". What?!!!!!!!!!
4. I got on the bus the other day and the driver said something to me about the women getting off with her dog and I just said, "yeah" and laughed cause I didn't catch a word of what he said behind his accent. (it seemed to pacify him though).
5. When ordering a pot of tea, I got to the front of the line, and when the lady asked me what I wanted, I ordered in a strong (weird) British accent, "A po' of tea, please". Totally don't know what came over me. She didn't seem to notice though, guess my accent is improving!
6. I challenged someone to come to a conference in Nottinghill, when in fact the conference was in Nottingham (I get confused with names of places here...and I often think of the movie)
Those are just a few examples of me "coping" in a new culture...it makes me laugh. I am sure that there are even more that I have mentally blocked out.
7 comments:
Mindy, this was great. I'm glad that you laugh at yourself... I can definitely relate to the bus and the pot of tea stories. I did both those things when I was in the UK...
And the "Welly's" story is HILARIOUS.
I totally am laughing trying to picture a mole hanging out on a wall!
You are crazy. Si!
5 and 6 made me laugh out loud, mostly 5. =p
I literally laughed out loud when i read "mole on the wall"
I had to look up the word "pacify." And I thought my English was good.
ha i totally did the "si" thing in india too! i just wanted to fit in with the language and everything and then i was like wait, they don't speak spanish.
haha, so funny.
Post a Comment