Thursday, April 29, 2010

Oh the Highlands...

Went up to Edinburgh last week with Tom and Arnold. We hired a car and, like the Canadians that we are, drove for hours and saw as much as we possibly could. We did take our British friend Tabby along, but she loves road trips, so she was cool with it. I did have to tell the guys to stop saying, "This looks like BC!" because it was probably annoying Tabby (but of course it wasn't because she's awesome)! Some areas of the Highlands definitely reminded us of BC, but I am not sure if it's just because we have been in Southern England for so long--anything with mountains and lakes looks just like BC to us!

We ventured up to Stirling, and Loch Lomond (which we kept pronouncing wrong) the first day. The second day we went over to Dundee (by accident) and then up to Inverness through Perth and the National Park area. Wow, the drive was incredible. It did not look anything like BC the second day(too bad Tabby wasn't with us)...rough terrains, amazing moss covered mountains... you look at all the soft grass and rolling hills and can't help but think, "no wonder the Scottish invented golf!". We finally arrived at Inverness, a city in Northern Scotland. I think it is the biggest city in the North, but I could be wrong. It boasts of being the "Highlands of Scotland" antd o give you an idea of where it is latitude-wise, it's almost equal to the Yukon border. Oh and yes, we did go to Loch Ness, but I didn't see Nessie...only in the souvenir shops!

We also saw lots of Highland Coos! I love them...especially the famous "Hamish" the coo. Here's a picture of one--took it myself!


2 comments:

~* ashley marie said...

i love their fringe

Nigel said...

hahaha my sister once fell into loch lomond when we were kids. she was trying to be funny and walk backwards along the shoreline, tripped on something and fell in. seeing "loch lomond" in your post brought that happy memory back :)

looks like an awesome road trip indeed!!