Sunday, May 31, 2009

Driving & My Science Experiment

So last Friday I conquered the British road system. And when I say conquered, I mean, I got pretty good, AFTER some minor adjusting...stalling while trying to maneuver a roundabout, and going up on a curb at one point (haha!) but after a little time of getting used to driving standard on the opposite side of the road while doing confusing roundabouts, I finally got it! And now I feel so comfortable driving here, it totally makes me want to get my own car. I really didn't want to give it back, especially since it was a new VW Golf, TDI. It was a sweet ride.

Well, later that night (after I got home from driving my team to a work meeting in another city) Tom and I decided to go out, because it's so rare that we actually have a car! So we headed out to this nice little restaurant in the town of Wheatley, just outside of Oxford. We headed in that direction because we heard their was an ASDA out there (like a Walmart) and we wanted to see if it was any good (kinda disappointing, not as big or stocked as a Walmart in Canada but oh well). Anyways...after our great dinner of ribs, I casually asked the waitress if I could have the rest of my meal 'wrapped up' to be taken home...totally forgetting that they don't do that in this country, they don't really get the whole idea of 'taking the rest home' and most restaurants would flat out say no and look at you like you are an idiot. But she said 'yeah sure' and so I didn't think anything of it. Then she comes back with my ribs in this pre-used big huge plastic container! It totally looked like a science experiment. It took everything I had to maintain a straight face as she went on to present me with a document, which I had to sign. It was actually a waiver saying that they were no longer legally responsible for the food! Like if I brought it home, then ate it when it was bad, I couldn't sue them. Baaaa! How come we don't have to fill out waiver's in Canada? Anyways, I signed it, and took my science experiment home to eat the next day. I will put a picture of it below, but it doesn't even capture the full extent of how strange it was!

3 comments:

S. said...

That's so weird that they don't let you take it home. What's the logic behind that? Was there an inordinate amount of cases of food poisoning from restaurant leftovers, that the UK decided to ban it altogether? I'd hate to be left with the options of wasting food or stuffing myself.

And if they go through the trouble of making you sign a waiver, you'd think they'd atleast give you an unused container.

Mindy said...

Hahaha, that's awesome! And good for you for driving standard AND on the wrong side! Pretty impressive I must say.

It's My DLu! said...

so funny ... do u even know what was in that container before?! i thought you were a germaphobe!!!