There is an old tradition here that dates back to a time when there was a lot of animosity between the 'city folk' and the 'scholars/students' of Oxford. They were rivals at one time and there are crazy stories about the townsfolk became a mob and chased students and even killed some! Thankfully those days are long gone, and we all live in peace now...but the other night really made me smile as Tom and I have very different experiences...
He went to him formal welcome banquet at Exeter College (apparently it was just like Hogwarts, beautiful, posh, and formal. Including a speech from the Rector about how they have now joined an 'elite club' that few have the privilege of joining). While I, met up with some friends and went to the local tavern. Filled with townsfolk and students alike (kind of ironic), we enjoyed a pint at a small crowded local pub. So when we got home we had a laugh about how he was hanging with the 'gown' society, and I was hanging with the 'town' society. Gotta keep it real, I think!
No comments:
Post a Comment