No this blog is not about Valentine's Day.
Actually, I was debating about writing this blog, because on the one hand, I wanted to honestly just write what I was thinking, but then on the other hand, I didn't want to make people feel bad or whatever.
Now that I have you totally curious, and your expectations way too high, I begin.
Never underestimate the value of a care package. Or even a card. Seriously. This week we are in Edinburgh helping on the Canadian project and so a bunch of staff and students came from Canada for the week. Yesterday, one of the stinters here got a bunch of little cards or gifts from people in Canada, sent via the staff that just arrived. I was happy for her, but at the same time, I felt bad and I just felt like, "I need some love from Canada" and I honestly felt really sad that no one sent me anything or said, "I miss you" in any way...(I know people do, this is not a pity party). So anyways, this was just a minor thought, didn't think about it for the rest of the day.
But THEN today, the students came, and with them little gifts/letters from staff. And I got three...one from Manitoba, one from Saskatchewan, and one from my old staff team in Calgary. And in the meantime I got a package from my mom that I have yet to open. So I got one from every province in the West! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THAT MEANT TO ME. LITERALLY. It was the world to me to have those cards and pictures and fun gifts. It's weird cause you don't think about it much at home, but when overseas, anything from home is of great worth. Even something I could buy here, it still is of great worth to me just cause it's from Canada. I know I am weird, you don't have to tell me. But I said this in passing while an American missionary was beside me who has been in the UK 20 years now, and he was right there with me, totally agreeing and understanding where I was coming from. So I feel less crazy.
This also lead me to feel guilty for all those times I did have opportunity to send a stinter or fellow staff something (via a student going on project or whatever) and didn't. Never again!
Needless to say, I felt the LOVE and it seriously made my day. And each one carried a different kind of special because of what they were and who they were from.
That's my thought, partially to do with love I guess, on this Feb. 14th.
PS: Do not send me a care package or feel guilty for not sending me anything as a result of reading this blog!!!!!!!!!!!
9 comments:
Mindy, we love you!!!!
Make sure to tell Tom. Thank you for the exhortation! it brought me to the cross.
The Chans
yay, it made it to you! we're thinking of you guys, have a great project!
My dad asked me today why I don't have a girlfriend. I laughed pretty hard and told him now you care.
i could fully hear you kind of yell-speaking that blog. it was funny in my mind.
uh, so my wife tells me you messaged her on facebook. way to facebook me, who was actually on your staff team. NOT feeling the love.
oops ... i forgot I was signed under Tara from that last comment.
dlung.
Darren, haha...I actually wrote Tara about something else,so it wasn't the only reason I messaged her...we were already talking... and also in the message told her to tell you. Plus, I knew you read my blog but didn't think Tara did...
so there are my excuses...:)
Mindy!!
This post was GREAT, and I couldnt agree more! I know exactly how you feel...things that are from Canada have much more significance now that we're away from home. And, anything from Canada (cards, notes, stuff etc) totally makes my day too :).
Love you guys! Say hi to Tom for me.
-karina
Good post, Minders.
Convicting too, since I actually LOVE writing letters, sending packages, but often forget the people who are in need of them/I'm just plain lazy.
Thank you for the reminder. I don't feel guilty...just...reminded. In a good way. :D
I totally agree Minds... the love from home is awesome!!!
Post a Comment