Sunday, December 7, 2008

German Mulled Beer


In Edinburgh they have an amazing German market (only for about a month at Christmas time). Tom's mom and sis took us there yesterday to look at all the cool stalls, and also/especially to try the mulled beer (also known as 'winter beer'). Verdict: so delicious!! Seriously, why don't we have this tradition in Canada?? We are totally missing out. It's like a beer with spices and almost a red wine like taste to it...I can't really describe it...you'll have to try it for yourself!

I would also recommend Mulled Wine...or "Glühwein" in German, a spicy, tasty way to enjoy the holidays. It's quite common in the UK as well as Germany.

4 comments:

Arnold said...

My co-worker told me when she visits Germany in the winter, they go nuts over Christmas. They have these incredible markets like you've mentioned and sell tons of crafts. She told me it is an awesome sight to see.

S. said...

I often come across Martha Stewart recipes for mulled wine, especially in the winter issues of her mags. Too bad I'm allergic to wine.

Anonymous said...

sophisticated beer!

Mindy said...

I found out the recipe actually uses a Belgium 'cherry beer' known as "Krick" I think...