Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Buskers in Oxford


While there are the average guitar playing buskers here, they also have some rather interesting buskers...my favorite is this guy who plays the bagpipes. It's so loud you can hear it all the way down the main street, but I like it cause I never get to hear the bagpipes, and somehow it makes me feel like I am in Scotland, or somewhere cool like that. The funny thing is, while I was enjoying his loud song walking down main street, and older woman (who totally reminded me of my grandma!) stop me and said, "Do you want to know the definition of a gentleman?". "Sure" I replied. Then she continued, "The definition of a gentleman is a man who knows how to play the bagpipes and doesn't."

I had to laugh.

Another thing that is kind of cool, is there is this girl who 'buskes' by drawing on the sidewalk creative and cool art with sidewalk chalk. I will have to try to get a picture of her in the future.

4 comments:

S. said...

Bagpipes make me think of SFU and convocation. They should only be played in fields or on grassy hills, which would make Scotland perfect.

Nigel said...

bagpipes remind me of my wedding! i keep telling myself i should learn to play them. too many people play the guitar anyway :)

your posts make me sooo jealous. every time i go to london i never want to leave. if i had my way we'd have moved there already, but kirsty would rather move to dublin, and we can't seem to agree. so toronto it is, then, haha.

It's My DLu! said...

i love that you're like "it reminds of scotland or somewhere cool like that."

uh ... you're in OXFORD! that's not cool enough!??!?!

and props to that lady hahah.

Mindy said...

Okay okay Oxford is cool! I should have said, some other place cool!

And yes, Stef, bagpipes remind me of convocation too!!